The Defender shall conduct monitoring of the implementation of the provisions of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child adopted on 20 November 1989, as well as carry out prevention of violations of the rights of the child and the protection thereof.
(Law on Human Rights Defender, article 2, paragraph 3)
The powers of the Defender in the area of the protection of child rights
Pursuant to paragraph 3 of Article 2 of this Law the Defender shall have the powers to:
- conduct monitoring of compliance of the legislation to provisions of the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child adopted on 20 November 1989;
- carry out regular, as well as ad hoc unimpeded visits to childcare and child protection institutions as well as comprehensive educational institutions. The Defender shall not be obliged to notify about the time and purpose of the visit in advance;
- present special public reports related to the child rights;
- present recommendations to the competent bodies in relation to the improvement of legal acts related to children rights or the drafts thereof or practice;
- carry out other powers prescribed by this law.
(Law on Human Rights Defender, article 30)